Managing Director’s Blog – Guest Edition November
Wow, six months at Mogul has sped by! For those of you who don’t know me, I’m the Chief Marketing Officer here at Mogul. I’ve spent more than half of my career in senior technology, video games publishing and esports at organisations such as Microsoft, Vivendi, Activision Blizzard and Samsung, launching and growing esports franchises such as CounterStrike, Overwatch, HearthStone, World of WarCraft and Call of Duty. Here at Mogul, my role consists of developing and executing our global marketing strategy, steering Mogul’s market entry and global partnerships and managing our tournament content to maximise our global expansion.
As we put the final touches on November, I thought this would be the perfect time to reflect on 5 key achievements at Mogul over the last six months;
1) New Focus on 4 Key Partner Verticals – It goes without saying that the players are at the heart of everything we do and this has driven our focus around constantly innovating, growing our platform and localising into new languages making the platform more accessible to players worldwide. To deepen and expand the experience for our players we are working across four key partner verticals. These are; 1. Game Publishers 2. Esports Teams 3. Esports Organisers and 4. Influencers. Over the past few months, we have made significant progress with partners from each of these customer groups.
A. Game publishers: In September, Mogul partnered with Wizards of the Coast, a division of Hasbro Inc., to bring to life the MTG Arena Mogul Championship for the ANZ region. By adding them to our partner roster, we’re able to increase the competitive play opportunities in the market which has been received extremely well by their dedicated player base. In November, we also activated a new ladders-based tournament series and partnered with Ubisoft and their esports franchise Rainbow 6. We continue to engage in many ways with the world’s leading video game publishers who are all featured on our platform.
B. Esports teams: Partnering with global esports teams Alliance and Team Secret over the past few months opened up an industry-first opportunity, allowing esports teams to host their own branded content to engage with their fans and launch new annuity revenue streams. This allows our team partners to focus on value creation versus value extraction.
C. Esports organisers: Joining forces with esports organisers such as Summoner’s Society and the Australian Esports League (AEL) highlights how our partnerships can support and build on grassroots esports across the globe. Launching Branded Hubs and tournament series with the likes of Summoner’s Society and the AEL will allow organisers to do bigger and better things for their communities and grow their fan base rapidly. We have also opened up the Middle East with tournament organiser Sarena, a well established firm in this region.
D. Influencers: Our partnership with the likes of influencer organisation Tier One Entertainment in SEA opens Mogul up to their stable of 200+ gaming streamers and influencers with an amazing outreach of over 10 million combined fans. For Tier One, it allows them to offer customised content such as their just-launched tournament series, The ONE Tournament, which is the first stage of their pro gaming talent discovery program.
2) Launched Branded Hubs – What Mogul can now offer our partners is incredible – our Branded Hub technology is like no other, allowing partners to build customisable tournaments in mere minutes. To date, Mogul has launched over 11 Branded Hubs with many more currently in development, so it’s easy to see how popular this functionality is within global esports. Mogul’s paid subscription functionality also allows partners to add new subscription revenue streams and take their content to new heights, developing and monetising what they already do so well.
3) New Tournament Content Strategy – the launch of our Branded Hub capability allows us to extend our tournament content beyond a previous focus on Mogul hosted and marketed tournaments. We call this 1st party content and an example of this is the Mogul Ladder Masters tournament running currently. Now, we can focus on 1st-party and co-marketed events with key partners such as Razer with the SEA Games activation (we call this 2nd party) and externally hosted & marketed events where partners use our Mogul tool suite (we call this 3rd party) such as tournaments being run by The Plays in Europe.
4) SEA Games Online Tournament – This month, in particular, has been very exciting for Mogul as we have been part of another world-first! November has seen the SEA Games commence where for the first time in history, esports will be recognised as a medaled event alongside traditional sports such as athletics. Mogul and Razer Inc. (the official esports partner to the SEA Games) will host the SEA Games Esports Online Challenge, an online tournament which will run in parallel to the official 2019 Southeast Asian Games. The Online Challenge gives fans around the region the chance to play online at home or in PC cafes at the same time as the pros compete for gold – and in the same game titles too! The SEA Games are under the regulation of the SEA Games Federation with supervision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), so for Mogul to be working alongside Razer on this landmark project is a testament to the world-class tournament technology we have developed.
5) Bolstered Team for the Year Ahead – As we look ahead to 2020, we have some incredibly exciting things in the works – most of which must remain under wraps for now! In addition to Cameron Adams joining Mogul‘s board last week, we have just had two new marketers join the Mogul team, Andy Cronin as our Global Social, Influencer and Community Manager and Michael Merckel as our Global Marketing Manager – Performance. In addition to the ongoing hard work of our existing team, these two great additions will help us acquire & engage more users and continue our rapid expansion in the global esports market.
In sign off, in addition to playing for glory, cash and prizes in 2020 Mogul continues to scale globally and is definitely playing to win. The last 6 months have been a cracker, I can’t wait to share more with our fans in the new year. Have a great upcoming holiday season.